March 19, 2024, 04:44:30 am

Author Topic: TWC4: Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 3836 times)

Lord Tony Spike

• Lord Exodus
  • Prisoner
TWC4: Frequently Asked Questions
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:46:41 am »
Help! I'm getting MAVs! Why does my game crash?
If you get a Memory Access Violation (MAV) or other type of crash or any error, post a question on the Q&A board. You may also want to look at the guide for improving game performance.

When posting a help topic, it's always a good idea to specify your computer info (processor, RAM, video card, et cetera) as well as anything you may have done (in the TWC3 folder) since installing TWC3 when you ask for help. It will help us diagnose the MAV.

Don't send a PM to one individual for help. You'll limit your chances of getting good help from multiple people, and probably annoy the guy that you singled out and nagged.

Why does the game take longer to load than regular Wrestling MPire 2008?
Due to the increase in texture size and quality, as well as the heavier file size for the 3D and audio. You can help load times by having no other programs running in the background. Defragging your harddrive wouldn't hurt, either.

What does the TWC4_VRAM.exe do?
It runs TWC4 with Blitz3D's VRAM function, which improves texture quality (provided you have a decent video card) and can possibly help with performance. See this topic for more details.

I'm running the game with VRAM, but some textures are still blurry. What gives?
The VRAM function is only for textures that the game engine specifically assigns to objects. You'll need to force your video card (or integrated video, if it is capable) to utilize "anisotropic filtering". It sharpens all textures from a distance, giving you a crisp and clean look. There may be a slight to moderate loss in framerate, depending on how powerful your computer and video card are. The method for enabling it depends on your video card brand (nVidia and ATi, for example).

nVidia users: If you're using the Forceware drivers, right click the taskbar icon. Go to "Performance and Quality Settings",  then "Anisotropic Filtering". Set it to at least 4x. If you're really straining for a good framerate, then 2x is your best bet.
ATi users: If you're using the Catalyst drivers, double click the taskbar icon. In the window that opens up, go to the "View" tab, extend the "3D" list (click the plus sign), then find the setting for "Anisotropic Filtering" Set it to at least 8x.

The game's running ridiculously slow during intense matches. What can I do to speed it up?
Try reducing the in-game detail settings. If you're willing to abandon the health meters, disabling them (F5) can gain some more frames per second. Disabling non-essentials like managers and referees can help, too. Lowering the resolution will help the most.

Will the 3D crowds and crew members still be visible in empty arenas like TWC3?
Nope. If the attendance is 0%, the entire stadium (or hall) will be empty.

Why aren't the 3D crowders animating?
Due to the unoptimized nature of the WM08 series of games, it was decided that the 3D crowd won't animate in TWC4. A successful attempt was made to modify the code for animated 3D crowds, but it ultimately slowed down the game to an unplayable pace.

From a distance, certain objects sometimes have weird tearing lines. What's the deal?
These are bugs that are a limitation of MDickie's WM08 series engine. Unfortunately, we don't have a workaround for this.

I'd like to address some problems about TWC4. I think [insert wrestler here] looks terrible/has an innacurate moveset. Will I get banned for complaining about it?
Not at all, but just try to be friendly about it. We'd appreciate hearing any criticisms or suggestions that you have for TWC4.

Why didn't [insert wrestler here] make the cut?
It isn't possible to include everybody in the industry. We tried to hit as many active, recent, and notable superstars as we could. There was also an "artistic disinterest" in modding certain superstars, so they were cut to speed up the mod.

What happened to NOAH? It was in TWC3!
It was decided that this time around, we would pay homage to the MPire Mall Wrestling eFed run on this website by including it as a federation.

Why does [insert wrestler here] have a generic theme?
With around 93 (excluding the menu/generic music) themes to assign to superstars, we had to allocate theme music to WWE and TNA. Therefore, not everyone will be able to have their own theme music.

I can't stand the menu theme! Is there a way to disable/change it?
You can, by replacing the Theme.wav file in the Sound folder with a blank WAV file.
"Give me a gun that never fires! Give me a sword that is ever blunt! Give me a weapon that deals no wound, so long as it always strikes fear!"